Although the plants in our homes and gardens may seem beautiful, delicate and innocent, some of these can prove to be deadlier than they look – especially when it comes to our furry or feathered friends.
The below list details some of the more commonly grown plants that are toxic to pets, and should be avoided by pet owners.
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, seek veterinary treatment immediately as, in many cases, the first few minutes or hours can be critical.
1. Aloe Vera
Although an incredibly useful plant to have in the home, it’s important to keep this ‘plant of immortality’ out of reach of curious cats and dogs as it can lead to moderate toxicity.
When ingested, the aloe plant can cause vomiting and diarrhea along with changes in mood and urine color, and rarely, tremors.
These low maintenance plants brighten up any home in the winter with their large, spectacular flowers.
However, they contain several noxious substances which cause harm. Watch out for salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, pain, lethargy, and tremors in both cats and dogs.
The bulb of the plant is even more toxic than the flowers and stalk so keep your pets away from the potting shed!
3. Autumn Crocus
While the Spring Crocus can cause general gastrointestinal upset including drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, the Autumn Crocus is far more deadly.
A compound in this plant, called colchicine, is highly toxic and can lead to severe drooling, vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, bloody diarrhea, liver and kidney damage, respiratory failure, seizures and death.
Signs may be seen immediately but may also be delayed for several days so if you even suspect your pet has come into contact with any part of this plant, get to a veterinarian immediately.
4. Azaleas / Rhododendrons
Toxic to dogs, cats, horses and other animals, ingesting even a few leaves of the azalea can lead to changes in normal muscle and nerve function.
The effects will usually occur within hours of exposure. Watch out for acute digestive upset, excessive drooling, loss of appetite, frequent bowel movements, diarrhea, colic, depression, weakness, loss of coordination, paralysis and weak heart rate.
In severe cases, the animal may suffer a drop in blood pressure, coma, and even death.
5. Baby’s Breath
This delicate little bloom is often found as a filler in flower arrangements, although it can be seen growing in the wild throughout the US, Asia and Europe.
Dogs and cats can suffer gastrointestinal upset, vomiting and diarrhea from this plant, although you should also be aware it can cause swelling and blockage of the air passages.
In the vast majority of cases the pet will make a full recovery within 4 to 24 hours of ingestion.
Read more: http://www.naturallivingideas.com/21-surprising-plants-kill-pets/